MATHEMATICS IN CONSTRUCTION TECHNOLOGY
•To understand the techniques of numerical methods for estimating high accuracy in finding the roots and, in solving differential equations and their applications.
•To introduce matrix algebra in a best suitable approach for solving large number of equations using transformation methods.
• To enable learning integration and solution of ODE‟s numerically.
• To understand the concept of Probability distribution function and their applications in civil engineering.
• To enable learning concepts of statistical mathematics and their implication in Construction Engineering.
1. Erwin Kreyszig ,”AdvancedEngineering Mathematics”, 10thEdition ,Willely India, 2016.
2. B.S. Grewal: Higher Engineering Mathematics, KhannaPublishers, 44rd Ed., 2017.
3. C.RayWylieandLouisCBarrett,“AdvancedEngineeringMathematics”,6thEdition,McGraw- Hill, 2012.
4. M K Jain, S.R.K Iyengar, R K. Jain, Numerical methods for Scientific and Engg.
5. Computation, New Age International, 2003.
1. Steven C Chapra and Raymond P Canale, “Numerical Methods for Engineers,” 7th Ed., McGraw-Hill Edition, 2015.
2. Steven C Chapra and Raymond P Canale, “Numerical Methods for Engineers”, 7th Edition, McGraw-Hill Edition,2015.
3. Steven C Chapra and Raymond P Canale, “Numerical Methods for Engineers,” 7th Ed., McGraw-Hill Edition, 2015.
CONSTRUCTION PROJECT AND MANAGEMENT
▪ Understandthevariousmanagementtechniquesforsuccessfulcompletionof construction projects.
▪ Understand the effect of management for project organization.
1. Chitkara, K.K. “Construction Project Management: Planning, Scheduling and Control”, Tata
McGraw-Hill Publishing Company, New Delhi, 1998.
2. ChoudhuryS, “Project Management”,McGraw-HillPublishingCompany, NewDelhi, 1988.
3. Chris Hendrickson and Tung Au, “Project Management for Construction – Fundamental
Concepts for Owners, Engineers, Architects and Builders”, Prentice Hall, Pittsburgh, 2000.
1. Srinath L.S, “PERT and CPM”, East West Press Pvt Ltd New Delhi.
2. Frank Harris and Roland McCaffer, “Modern Construction Management”- 4th Ed. Blackwell Science Ltd.
CONSTRUCTION QUALITY AND SAFETY
• Understand concept of quality management and it implication’s.
• UnderstandtheimportanceofqualitycertificationsandapplicationofTQMtothe construction projects.
• Understand concept of safety management and it implication’s.
• Study the relationship between quality and safety management.
1. Logothetis, N. “Managementfortotal quality.” ed:Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River,NJ (1997).
2. David Gold Smith, “Safety Management in construction and Industry”,McGrawHill Publishers.
3. K N Vaid, “Construction Safety Management”, NICMAR, Bombay.
4. D S Rajendra Prasad, “Quality Management System in Civil Engineering”, Sapna Book House, Bangalore.
1. Robert (QMP) “ Bench Marking”, “ The search for industry Best Practices that led to superior performance” American Society of Quality 1995.
2. Break Joseph andSusan Joseph “Total Quality Management”, Excel Books, New Delhi, 1995.
3. JuranFrank,J.M. and Gryna,F.M. “Quality Planning and Analysis”, Tata McGraw Hill 2002.
ADVANCED CONSTRUCTION MATERIALS AND GREEN BUILDINGS
1. Understand the environmental issues due to building materials and the energy consumption in manufacturing building materials
2. Study the various masonry blocks and alternative building materials.
3. Study the properties of concrete making materials, special concretes and various methods for making concrete.
4. Understand the sustainable materials used in construction.
5. Understand the amount of energy required for building and use of Non-renewable sources.
1. K. S. Jagadish, B. V. Venkatarama Reddy and KS Nanjunda Rao, “Alternative Building Materials and
Technologies”, New Age InternationalPublishers.
2. Gambhir M.L., “Concrete Technology”, McGraw Hill Education, 2006.
3. Shetty M.S., “Concrete Technology”, S. Chand and Company Ltd. Delhi, 2003.
4. M. L. Gambhir “Building Materials” Neha Jamwal, Tata McGraw Hill Publ.
5. C. J. Kibert (2008) “Sustainable Construction: Green Building Design and delivery”, 3rd Ed., John Wiley, Hoboken, New Jersey.
1. RJS Spence and DJ Cook, “Building Materials in Developing Countries”, Wiley pub.
2. Mehta.P.K., andPaulo J.M.Monteiro,“Concrete-Microstructure,Properties andMaterials”- (Indian Ed., Indian Concrete Institute), McGraw Hill.
3. National Building Code 2005, Part 0-10, Bureau ofIndian Standards
4. G.T.MillerJr.(2004) “LivingintheEnvironment:Principles,Connections andSolutions”,14th Ed., Brooks Cole, Pacific Grove, California, Washington DC, April 1989.
MECHANIZATION IN CONSTRUCTION
• Understand the various types of equipment’s used for construction.
• Understand different construction methods.
• Understand modern techniques used in construction.
• Understand the environmental issues related to construction activities.
1. MaheshVarma,“ConstructionEquipmentanditsPlanningandApplications”,MetropolitanBook Co.(P) Ltd., New Delhi. India.
2. SharmaS.C.“ConstructionEquipmentandManagement”,KhannaPublishers, Delhi, 1988
ADVANCED MATERIAL TESTING LABORATORY
• Learn principles and design the experiments.
• Investigate the performance of various concrete.
• Investigate in-situ bearing capacity of soil to decide the size of the foundation.
1. Metha P.K and Monteiro. P. J. M. ” CONCRETE”, Microstructure, Properties and Materials, Third Edition, Tata McGrawHill Publishing company Limited, NewDelhi,2006
2. Shetty.M.S., “Concrete Technology, Theory and Practice” ,Revised Edition, S.Chand & company Ltd. ,New Delhi,2006
3. Neville. A.M. , ” Properties of Concrete”, 4th Edition Longman,1995
4.. Mindass and Young, ” Concrete”, Prentice Hall.1998
1. JK Ray, “Experimental analysis of stress and strain”, S Chand & Co.
2. J K Bungey, “Testing of concrete in structures”, Surrey University Press.
3. IS codes of 2720 (part 4) and IS: 2131-1981.
CONSTRUCTION ECONOMICS AND FINANCE
• Understand importance of economics
• Understand concept of financial management
• Know the time value money and factors governing it.
• Understand Working Capital Management.
• Understand various risks and Uncertainties involved in construction.
1. 1.Peterson, H.C., Lewis, W.C. “Managerial Economics”,Prentice Hall of India Pvt. Ltd., 2001
2. Parkin, M. & Bade R., “Modern Macroeconomics” 4th Edition,Prentice Hall, 1996.
3. Werther&Davis, “HumanResources &Personnel Management”, McGraw Hill, 1996
4. Edwards, John et.al., 1983 “Manpower planning, John Wiley”: New York
5. Anthony, R.N. Govindrajan, V., Irwin, “Management control systems”, McGraw Hill Publications, 10th Edition, 2000.
PRE-ENGINEERED CONSTRUCTION TECHNOLOGY
• Understand the type of prefabricated elements.
• Understand the method of hoisting.
• Understand the basic construction of the pre-engineered buildings.
1. L. Mokk, “Prefabricated Concrete for Industrial and Public Structures” Publishing House of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences, Budapest, 2007.
2. T. Koncz, “Manual of Precast Concrete Construction”, Vol. I, II, III & IV, Berlin,1971.
1. B. Lewicki, “Building with LargePrefabricates”, ElsevierPublishing Company, Amsterdam, London, New York, 1998.
2. Structural Design Manual, Precast Concrete Connection Details, Society for the Studies in the use of Precast Concrete, Netherland Betor Verlag, 2009.
3. Hass, A.M.Precast concrete design and Applications, AppliedScience Publishers,1983.
DESIGN CONCEPTS OF SUB-STRUCTURES
• To understand the importance ofsub-soil exploration, bearing capacity of soil.
• To learn the design of shallow foundation and deep foundations in varies field conditions.
• To understand the importance of soil reinforcement in improving the soil characteristics.
1. Soil Dynamics and MachineFoundation (2010),SwamiSaran, GalgotiaPublicationsPvt. Ltd.
2. Foundation Engineering (2012), JE Bowles. McGraw Hill Book Company
3. Analysis and Design of Foundations and Retaining Structures(1979)–SPrakash,Sarita Prakashana, Meerut
4. Foundation design in practices (2010)-Kaurna Moy Ghosh.PHI
5. Foundation Engineering (1998): Bajara M Das, John Wiley &Sons,
6. Vibration Analysis and Foundation Dynamics(1998)-Kameswara Rao, N. S. V., Wheeler Publication Ltd.,
7. Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering – S K Garg, Khanna Publications
8. Geotechnical Engineering – C Venkataramaiah, New Age International Publishers
BUILDING SERVICES AND MAINTENANCE
• Understand the importance of ventilation and their different types.
• Understand the difference between electrical and plumbing layout.
• Understand the various types of building services.
• Understand the various methods of maintenance in construction industry.
1. R. Udaykumar “A text book on Building Services ”, EswarPress, ISBN-13,9788178740638, Chennai.
2. S.M.Patil“BuildingServices”,SeemaPublication,ISBN-13,1234567121246,MumbaiRevised edition.
3. Dr. B. C.Punmia “Building Construction”,LaxmiPublications(P) Ltd., Edition11-2017, New Delhi.
4. P.S. Gahlot “Building repair andMaintenance Management ”, CBSPublishers & Distribution(P) Ltd, DEC2010.
1. “National Building Code of India – 2005 ”, Bureau of Indian Standards, BIS, New Delhi.
GROUND IMPROVEMENT TECHNIQUES
• Understand the fundamental concepts of ground improvement techniques
• Apply knowledge of mathematics, Science and Geotechnical Engineering to solve problems in the field of modification of ground required for construction of civil engineering structures.
• Understand the concepts of grouting and other miscellaneous methods.
• Impart the knowledge of geosynthetics, vibration, grouting and Injection
1. Ground Improvement Techniques by P. Purushothama Raj, Laksmi Publications, New Delhi.
2. R. M. Korner, Design with Geosynthetics, Prentice Hall, New Jersy, 3rd Edn. 2002
3. P. Purushothama Raj, Ground Improvement Techniques, Tata McGrawHill, New Delhi, 1995.
4. Dr. B.C.Chattopadhyay and J.Maity, Ground Control and Improvement Techniques, PEEDOT, Howrah, 2011.
5. G. V. Rao and G. V. S. Rao, Text Book On Engineering with Geotextiles, Tata McGraw Hill
1. Engineering Principles of Ground Modification by Monfred R Hausmann, Mc Graw Hill Publishing Co.
2. Reinforced Soil and Its Engineering Applications by Swami Saran, I.K. International Pvt. Ltd
ADVANCED REINFORCED CONCRETE DESIGN
• Learn the principles of Structural Design.
• Design and detail the different types ofstructures.
• Understand the ductile detailing (Seismic Detailing) of RC Structures
1. S.S.Bhavikatti, “AdvancedRCCDesign (RCCVol. 2)”-NewAge InternationalPrivateLimited Publishers, 3rd Edition: 2016.
2. P.C.Varghese, “Advanced Reinforced Concrete Design”- Prentice-Hall of India, New Delhi, 2005.
3. Punmia, B. C., Jain, A. K., & Jain, A. K. (1998). Comprehensive Rcc. Designs. Laxmi Publications.
4. Advanced Reinforced Concrete Design – N. Krishnaraju, CBSPublishers.
5. IITK-BMTPC Earthquake Tips https://www.nicee.org/EQTips.php
6. IS 13920 (1993): Ductile detailing of reinforced concrete structures subjected to seismic forces – Code of practice.
BUILDING COST AND QUALITY MANAGEMENT
• Prepare the Bill of Quantities (BOQ) of a given project.
• Understand the qualities of materials used in the construction work.
1. B.N.Dutta “Estimating and Costing” UBS Publishers’ Distributors PvtLtd,28thRevisedEditionedition(2016).
2. G.S. Birdie “Estimating and Costing” Dhanpat Rai PublishingCompany.
1. Roshan N Namavati “Professional Practice”, Lakahni Book Depot, Mumbai.
PAVEMENT DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION
• Discuss the factors influencing design of pavements and compute stresses and deflections induced in flexible pavement under various design loads.
• Understand the material specification and construction of different layers.
• Understand the various types of equipments used for road construction and pre construction methods.
• Design the thickness of flexible pavements by different methods and as per IRC guidelines.
• Design the thickness of concrete pavements and joints associated with CC pavements in addition to the computation of stresses in CC pavements.
1. Yoder and Witczak, “Principles of Pavement Design”- John Wiley and sons Inc(second edition) 1975
2. Yang, “Design of functional pavements”- McGraw Hill BookCo.
1. Huang, “Pavement Analysis”- ElsevierPublications
2. David Croney, Paul Croney, “Design & Performance of Road Pavements”- McGraw hill Book Co.
3. W.RonaldHudson,RalphHaasandZeniswki“ModernPavementManagement”-McGraw Hill and Co
4. IRC 37-2001, IRC 81-1997, IRC 58 – 2002, IRC 59 – 1976, IRC 101-1988, Indian Roads
5. Khanna and Justo “Highway Engineering”- Nemchand& Bros, Roorkee
EARTHQUAKE RESISTANT DESIGN OF STRUCTURES
1. Learn the principles of engineering seismology.
2. Design the reinforced concrete buildings for earthquake resistance structures.
3. Evaluate the seismic response of the structures.
1. Dynamics ofStructures –Theory and Application toEarthquakeEngineering 2nd ed. – Anil K.Chopra, Pearson Education.
2. EarthquakeResistantDesignofBuildingStructures,VinodHosur,WILEY(india) India.
5. IS – 1893 (Part I): 2002, IS – 13920: 1993, IS – 4326: 1993, IS-13828: 1993
6. Design of Earthquake Resistant Buildings, Minoru Wakabayashi, McGraw Hill Publishers.
SOFTWARE APPLICATION LABORATORY
• Plan and schedule multi storeyed building with various constraints.
• Carry out estimation of buildings using software’s
• Understand and apply project management techniques.
1. Chitkara,K.K.“ConstructionProjectManagement:Planning,SchedulingandControl”,TataMcGraw- Hill Publishing Company, New Delhi, 1998.
2. ChoudhuryS, “Project Management”, McGraw-HillPublishing Company, New Delhi, 1988.
CONSTRUCTION CONTRACTS, SPECIFICATIONS AND ESTIMATION
• Summarize, analyze and evaluate the estimates, rate analysis and specifications.
• Analyze, evaluate and design construction contract documents, tendering procedure.
• Summarize and analyze the, claims and dispute mechanisms.
• Summarize and analyze the BOT, PPP, Concession contracts.
• Recognize and summarize the laws affecting engineers, relational contracts.
1. B.N.Dutta, “Estimation and Costing in Civil Engineering”, 28th revised edition, UBS Publishers Distributors Pvt. Ltd., 2016.
2. Collier, K. (1982). “Managing Construction Contracts”, Reston PublishingCompany.
3. S. Ranaga Rao Contract Management and Dispute Resolutions Engineering staffCollege of India January 2008.
4. C. J. Schexnayder and R. E. Mayo, “Construction ManagementFundamentals”, McGraw Hill, New Delhi. 2003
5. General Conditions of Contract, CentralPublic Works Department, New Delhi,2010
6. D.S.Berrie andB.c.Paulson,ProfessionalconstructionmanagementincludingC.M.,Design construct and general contracting, McGraw Hill InternationaL, Third Edition1992.
7. V. K. Raina, Construction & Contract Management Practices, SPD, New Delhi
RESTORATION AND REHABILITATION OF STRUCTURES
• Learn the structural properties of different members.
• Identify the failure phenomenon of structures.
• Understand the new approaches in the design aspects.
• Understand the concepts of serviceability and durability of structures.
1. J.Bhattacharjee,Concrete structuresRepair,Rehabilitation andRetrofitting,CBSPublishers,2017.
2. B. Vidivelli, Rehabilitation of concreteStructures,standardPublishers and distributors, 2007.
3. R T Allen,S C Edwards and D.N.Shaw, Repair of Concrete Structures, CRC press,1992.
4. A TechnicalReport onLearning of failuresfrom Deficienciesin design, construction andService, Raikar R. N., R & D Centre (SDCPL).
CONSTRUCTION DEMOLITION AND WASTE MANAGEMENT
• Focusontheprinciplesofsustainableconstructionanddemolitionwastemanagementand resource efficiency.
• Examine the environmental impact of building materials, formulating and designing pre−construction and site waste management plans.
1. Stessel, R. I. Recycling and resource recovery engineering: principles of waste processing. Springer Science & Business Media, (2012).
2. Greg Winkler, “Recycling Construction and Demolition waste: A LEED-Based Toolkit (Green Source) McGraw Hill Publishers
3. VMTam,ChiMingTam,“ReuseofConstructionandDemolitionWasteinHousingDevelopment”, Nova Science Publishers, 2008.
1.Nováková, I., & Mikulica, K. (2016). Properties of concrete with partial replacement of natural aggregate by recycled concrete aggregates from precast production. Procedia Engineering, 151, 360-367.
2. Xiao, J. (2018). Reclaim of Waste Concrete. In Recycled Aggregate Concrete Structures (pp. 15-37). Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg.
DESIGN OF PRESTRESSED CONCRETE STRUCTURES
• Learn the concepts of prestress in Civil Engineering projects.
• Learn the concepts of prestressing in mass housing projects, railway sleepers, flyovers etc
1. Nigel R Hewon Prestressed Concrete Bridge, Design and construction Thomas TelfordLondon2003.
2. DevidA.Sheppard&WilliamR.Phillps Plan Cast Precast and Prestressed concrete(ADesignGuide) Mcgraw Hill Publication Co. 1989.
3. N.Krishna raju Prestressed Concrete Tata Mc Graw Hill (Third Edition)1981. Reference Books:
1. Lin T.Y,Burns N.H. Design of Prestressed Concrete Structures. John Wiley & sons (Third Edition).1982. ,
DISASTER MANAGEMENT TECHNIQUES
• Adopt various numerical methods and mathematical tools for analysis of research data.
• Learn about the natural disasters.
• Learn the risk reduction methods of disasters
• Understand the application of GIS in disaster management techniques.
1. PardeepSahni,MadhaviMalalgodaandAriyabandu,“Disasterriskreductionin south Asia”, PHI Learning.
2. Amitasinvhal, “Understanding earthquake disasters”, TMH publishers, 2010.
3. Pardeepsahni,AlkaDhamejaandUmaMedury,“DisasterMitigation: Experiences and reflections”, PHILearning.
ADVANCED DESIGN OF STEEL STRUCTURES
• To learn principles of design of industrial buildings.
• To design different components of industrial structures and to detail the structures.
1. Bureau of Indian Standards, IS800-2007, IS875-1987, IS-801-1975. Steel Tables, SP 6 (1) – 1984.
2. N Subramanian- “Design of Steel Structure” oxford UniversityPress.
3. Duggal “Limit State Design of Steel Structures” TMHpublishers.
4. B.C. Punmia, A.K. Jain “Design of Steel Structures”, Laxmi Publications, New Delhi.
5. Ramchandra and Virendra Gehlot “Design of Steel Structures “ Vol 1 and Vol.2, Scientific Publishers, Jodhpur.