This interactive and dynamic virtual session will provide you with the key knowledge and aspects that you need to know and master, from a contractual and legal point of view, from starting to finishing a project. By having clear insights on administering and managing your EPC contracts, it will help you to be protected from costly delays, cost overruns, disputes, liabilities and avoidable project risks.
Led by our award-winning legal trainer, Mr. Coenraad Snyman, Coenraad will walk you through the essential aspects to consider when preparing an Invitation to Tender, Requests for Proposals, bids or tenders in your EPC project. You will also discover the provisions of building and engineering contracts, covering all the phases through which these projects typically go through via practical examples and case studies. At the end of the course, you will be able to master in successfully bringing and preparing claims when any disruptions happens. Coenraad will also guide you on how to prevent and manage any disputes should they arise in your project cycle
What you can expect from this from this workshop :
- Understand the legal principles and provisions inherent to building and engineering contracts
- Gain insights to become more proficient at procuring and preparing the contract
- Master administering and managing your EPC contract for successful project delivery
- Dive deep on unique approach and practical steps in effectively managing your EPC contract by learning not only what to do but how to do it correctly
- Become more successful at bringing and preparing claims
- Learn how to avoid and manage disputes, should they arise
Key benefits from this workshop :
This course is designed for Contract Administrators, Contract Managers & Contract Professionals, Supply Officers, Buyers, Purchasing Professionals and Procurement Officers, Project Co-ordinators, Project Managers and other Project Professionals, Claims Personnel, including Legal Advisers, Contract Strategists and Business Audit Officers, Sales and Marketing Managers, Claim Managers, Business Development Managers, Supply Managers, Trade and Export Finance Managers.
Workshop Outline :
Day One – 10 August 2022
Session 1: Legal Basis And Overview Of EPC Contracts
- Amendments of form contracts (including a review of FDIDIC’s Golden Principles)
- Introduction to the FIDIC and NEC family of contracts
- Criteria to consider in order to select the most appropriate form of contract
- Typical structure of EPC contracts
Session 2: Procuring An EPC Contract
- Determining and drafting the scope of the work
- Constraints on the execution of the work
- Co-ordination of work amongst various contractors
- Administration of EPC contracts
- Appointment and role of the Employer’s agent
Session 3: Payment Provisions And Use Of The Programme
- Pricing options to consider
- Payment provisions and determining the amount due to the contractor
- Programming requirements and uses of the contractor’s programme/schedule
Day Two – 11 August 2022
Session 1: Quality Control And Management
- Dealing with defects in the works
- Defect notification periods
- Certification and taking-over of the works
- Delay damages
Session 2: Variations And Claims
- Dealing with changes to the scope of the work / variations
- Effect of variations on the time for completion and the contract price
- Grounds to claim an extension of time and for the recovery of additional costs
- Claim procedures
Session 3: Termination And Disputes
- Termination and other contractual remedies
- Avoiding and dealing with disputes
Mr. Coenraad Snyman
Shortlisted as “Trainer of the Year” by FIDIC in 2021
- World renowned legal practitioner and seasoned local & international trainer, consultant and strategist in the area of contract drafting, contract management and administration procurement for over 20 years
- Shortlisted as “Trainer of the Year” by FIDIC in 2021 for his excellence in the use of FIDIC contract forms for project delivery
- Senior lecturer for the College of Contract Management, based in London, UK, on FIDIC forms of contract
- Affiliate member of International Federation of Consulting Engineers (FIDIC), member of the IACCM and fellow of the Association of Arbitrators (Southern Africa) NPC
Coenraad Snyman is a world-renowned legal practitioner and executive with a BA (UCT), B.PROC Law (UNISA) and LLB Law (UNISA) degrees as well as a Degree Certificate in Air and Space Law (McGill University, Canada). He was shortlisted as “Trainer of the Year” by FIDIC during 2021.
As an admitted attorney in the High Courts of South Africa and the Kingdom of Lesotho, Coenraad has 20 years post qualifying work in Government, Public, Corporate, Commercial, Engineering, Construction, Aviation, Mining and Oil & Gas sectors.
He is an experienced and seasoned local and international trainer, consultant and strategist in the areas of Contract Drafting, Contract Management and Administration Procurement; Corporate Governance and Ethics; Building; Engineering; Construction; Oil & Gas; EPC, EPCIC and EPCM contracts (including JBCC, GCC, FIDIC [1999 and 2017 editions] and NEC3/4 forms of contract).
He is a trusted advisor to many blue-chip clients including Anglo American, Anglo Platinum, Anglo Gold Ashanti, AUSENCO, HATCH, SNC-Lavalin Group INC, PROXA, Dimension Data, NMSi, AECOM, FLUOR Corporation, ACTOM, Turner & Townsend, HKA, Hill International, various construction companies (for example Group 5 Structured Engineering, Stefanutti Stocks, Thaw Construction, GVK-Siya Zama, Basil Read etc.), ACSA, Transnet, ESKOM, UAE’s Ministry of Infrastructure Development (MOID), the Government of the Maldives; the Sultanate of Brunei; the Sultanate of Oman and the Government of South Africa.
He has advised many clients embroiled in disputes and has represented various companies in mediations, adjudications and arbitrations.
Prior to starting his legal career, he worked as a diplomat for the South African government where he engaged with multilateral organizations and entities such as the UN, IBRD, IMF, OPIC, ICAO, IATA and the IAEA. Currently Coenraad is the owner and CEO of Coen Snyman International and Head of Training and Partner at Consultant’s House (based in Dubai, UAE). Coenraad is currently also a senior lecturer for the College of Contract Management, based in London, UK, on FIDIC forms of contract.
Date & Time – 10th – 11th August 2022 & 10.00 AM to 5.00 PM IST